This guide is particularly for Fedora 17, if you just want to get going and browse as fast as you can you can try Mint or Ubuntu instead of Fedora, using the same settings otherwise. I use Fedora because I think it is the best distribution, the hazzles I have had with other ones just makes me go back to it.
1. Go to https://www.virtualbox.org/
At the time of writing, download and install this:
2. Open Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager and press the "New"-button.
6. Dynamically allocated works fine, go next.
7. Since it is dynamically allocated, you can go as high in GB as you want, if you feel you want to use this VM for other things that require space.
9. Now you need an ISO file. Get it from here (press Download Now):
10. When the download has finished, select the iso file and press Start.
So then I need to go into the bios and enable it, start up the Virtual Machine again, and continue the installation.
It is possible to do this either by just browsing "live" or by installing. Live will not give you any history from previous browsing if you wanted to check back on what you were browsing another day. And saving passwords will also not be possible. Installing addons that make it possible to show videos etc will not work either.
12. Now press through the installation with default settings on most things, it should go very quick.
If you need Flash in Fedora 17: http://nosnahoj.blogspot.se/2012/10/flash-in-firefox-4-fedora-17-works-for.html
Could not get it to install properly but will update this tomorrow if I get it running.
Also something about running Chromium/Chrome in Fedora.
To be able to copy and paste links etc to the virtual machine, install the Guest Additions from the Devices menu. This does not work for me. There is probably a solution on how to make the installation of Guest Additions work properly, but I need to sleep right now...